For participants arriving to Winchester early, or staying after the conference, there are lots to see and do. Below are just some of the options in the city centre.
For further information, visit the tourist board at http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/site/things-to-do
- Winchester Cathedral - A place of worship for over 900 years, Winchester's world-famous cathedral is as remarkable for its hidden treasures - Anthony Gormley's Sound II, the Winchester Bible and Jane Austen's tomb, as it is for its spectacular architecture.
- The Great Hall and King Arthur's Round Table - Winchester is famous for its legendary Arthurian Round table, a striking sight well worth visiting in The Great Hall - the only remaining part of Winchester Castle.
- Winchester College - Believed to be the oldest continuously running school in the country, Winchester College boasts some illustrious alumni including Douglas Jardine, Lord Howe and Anthony Trollope.
- City Museum - Uncover Winchester's past at the family-friendly City Museum.
- The Westgate - A fortified medieval gateway which served as a debtors' prison for 150 years. Read prisoners' graffiti, see the interesting collection of weights and measures and take in splendid rooftop views across Winchester.
- The City Mill - Perched over the fast-flowing River Itchen, Winchester City Mill has regular milling demonstrations, children's quizzes and an interactive exhibition.
- Winchester's Military Museums - Home to one of the most sizeable collections of regimental history outside London in the form of five museums.
- St Cross Hospital - Admire medieval architecture and take part in a 900-year-old tradition as you receive the Wayferer's Dole.
- Abbey House and Gardens - Next to the newly refurbished Guildhall is Abbey House, the mayor's official residence. On the site of a nunnaminster founded by King Alfred's wife, Queen Ealhswith, the adjoining gardens are a riot of colour in the summer.
- Wolvesey Castle - Visit the extensive ruins of Winchester's medieval Bishop's Palace.
- Winchester Discovery Centre - Winchester's modern library with exhibitions and a cafe.
- Winchester Theatre Royal - The theatre provides a varied professional programme of drama, dance, comedy, music and children's theatre and enjoys a reputation for first class Christmas pantomime.